∂ part of node [[agora-editor]]
- To contribute to the Agora, you need to write down notes or posts in one of the supported formats and upload your notes to a git repository of your choice. These steps are expanded below.
In a nutshell: you need to host your notes (more generally, resources, defaulting to markdown plus wikilinks), somewhere online. And then let the agora know about it.
- The Agora doesn't host your data, but rather pulls it from a location you control and renders it for you and other users; in the process interlinking your data with that of other users.
- Most users currently host git repositories on https://github.com or https://gitlab.com.
- Note using the default format (Markdown) lets you also easily publish your blog or digital garden independently online with tools such as jekyll, gatsby or nikola.
As of 2021-05-07, the recommended Agora editor is:
- foam, if you want open source hosted locally.
- logseq, if you want open source, value the convenience of a hosted setup, and use chrome or a chromium based browser (any browser but firefox, essentially).
obsidian if you don't mind using closed software from a small ethical company, in particular a small one with a vibrant open source extension community.
- You need at least also the obsidian git plugin. See obsidian plugins for more.
- install obsidian by visiting https://obsidian.md and then follow vault backup to set up backup to git: https://docs.github.com/en/github/importing-your-projects-to-github/adding-an-existing-project-to-github-using-the-command-line.
- Then follow the procedure below to add your vault or digital garden to the agora.
- You can also use:
After getting yourself a repository, you need to let an agora know about it so it can be pulled and integrated.
- Please send a pr adding your garden to gardens yaml, accepting the agora's contract and indicating your desired username; or reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org, flancian or vera with information about your use case. We'll do our best to make it work! We want the agora to be maximally inclusive.
All agora users must agree to its contract as defined by the system account.
- The contracts of other users can optionally be a endorsed.
- My proposal to you now is that we use the capability of sharing and discovering context-relevant media at effectively zero cost for the greater good: let's agree on a protocol to escape vendor lock-in and cooperate optimally on projects of public utility.