📚 node [[2003 08 17 steve gillmor another fine mesh]]
layout: post title: "Steve Gillmor: Another Fine Mesh" created: 1061180640 categories:
- Wireless, Cellular, and Mobile
Bill Gates finally takes this public, courtesy of the Wall Street Journal's D conference and leaked blogging. "Microsoft is also betting on mesh networks -- Gates believes that by spreading WiFi backhall among large numbers of clients, WiFi will facilitate broadband for everyone that may serve to replace cellular networks under many circumstances. Gates predicts mesh networks will be mainstream in the next 5 years and he's presumably already looking to build software to address the problems associated with the multiplicity of base stations."The bolded section is my emphasis. OK, so MS plans to build wireless/mesh networking into every product. This suggests a couple of things.
Now we'll wait for the other part of this shoe to drop.
- MS is going to go up against service providers and/or vendors like NT, Cisco, etc.
- Two -- you think the recent Blaster worm was bad?!?
📖 stoas (collaborative spaces) for [[2003 08 17 steve gillmor another fine mesh]]
- Open document (Hedgedoc) at https://doc.anagora.org/2003-08-17-steve-gillmor-another-fine-mesh
- Video call (Jitsi) at https://meet.jit.si/2003-08-17-steve-gillmor-another-fine-mesh
🔎 full text search for [[2003 08 17 steve gillmor another fine mesh]]