[[readwise]] [[notion]] [[roam]]
- There seem to be many pipelines involving these and [[hypothes.is]]
- Assemble a 'small team' of interested open source devs or keep it in a small group?
Dan: probably use one of the following strategies
- See paper notebook.
- Next steps for interop/protocol -- different from the above? Convergent?
- Out there question
- 22 people now in the company!
- Raising money
- [[Skunk works]]
- joined the beta
- great for single-user use cases
- but doesn't go after collaboration, publishing, web
[[fedwiki]] seems to be the closest thing to the agora
- check out the wednesday calls
[[react]] (a module) could be another frontend to the agora
would love to experiment to [[hypothes.is]]
- seemed like it was more about structured representation
- agora is more like [[folksonomy]]
Journey to understand the broad frame.
- There is a movement in humanity towards networked thinking.
- The book -> the telephone -> the web.
- What's next? There's another step coming. The beginning of truly coordinated semantic thinking.
Dan believes that the note taking paradigm with wiki links is a key part of this journey but it needs an ingredient.
- Open coordination.
Annotation is the edge. An event horizon.
- The ability to coordinate between clients that live at the edge is key.
- Does not yet have the power of the wiki link.
Notion/Roam are not yet unlocking the full human potential.
- Dan is on a journey to find what are the essential components.
- Open questions: groups, groups permissions.
- Hypothesis gets tweeted at by people who are using their tools in new ways.
- Local cyberpunk guy, founder of Sun Microsystems.
- Lots of different annotation services; how do you know which annotation services have annotations with a page?
- Similar problem to go link authorities.
- Some people think that the fact that backlinks were absent in the original web was part of what let it grow.
- What if in the future you can't just run a server in your closet?
- Hypothes.is is part of it
- [[Tim Berners Lee]] holds it together.
- Community group -> working group
- Community group is outside the W3C, but blessed. Build a community, clear plan. Then you're invited to a working group.
Browser vendors consortium (name?)
- Conveniently outside the W3C.
[[Annotation standard]]: read it
- JSON/RDF: elements that needs to make up an annotation
- What are the concepts in this space.
- A discrete component.
- Glorified markdown editors.
Hypothes.is -> readwise -> Roam
- Hypothes.is as a SGK client
- Standards compliant wiki service
- Dan agrees that most of the activity is socially beneficial.
- People still think of these networks as being apart from themselves. But the network is the organism.
Open source versions of projects.
- Truly networked paradigm?
- Loose coupling / loose integration.
- My view: personal gardens are what get a critical mass. It needs to be independent.