🏛 Stoas near [[@flancian/meditation technique]]📖 HedgeDoc at https://doc.anagora.org/meditation-technique 📖 Etherpad at https://stoa.anagora.org/p/meditation-technique 📹 Jitsi at https://meet.jit.si/meditation-technique
- I meditate 10 minutes on waking up, and then 5 or 10 more most days in the evening.
While meditating I sometimes do variations on box breathing combined with counting.
- It's maybe a bit idiosyncratic but it helps me focus; I'll write more about it in this node.
- It's important to let go of the process after a while, instead of becoming attached to the counting.
While I breathe, I sometimes visualize a box.
I started by using single time to count with the help of this box.
- On breathing in, I count and optionally visualize a number inside or near the box as I go up the leftmost edge.
- On not yet breathing out, I go right through the upper edge.
On breathing out, I go down the rightmost edge.
- While I do this, optionally, I factorize the number or evaluate it according to some well known function.
If the number is known to be prime, optionally, I calculate its multiples until I start another breath.
- If some multiple is known to be interesting, I stop there and make a mental note of where I stopped.
119 is known to be interesting, for example, because it was the first multiple of 17 which I found interesting in one particular run through this process.
- It was the first number that I couldn't decide as prime or composite based on some procedure simpler than knowing it was a multiple of 17.
On occasion I find it useful to double time.
- That means, to count up both when inhaling and exhaling.
- This can feel more engaging, which makes it easier to maintain focus.
- It also lets one make use of our body's natural parity bit: breathing in and out follow each other like odd and even numbers.
- I start counting at one, so odd numbers happen when inhaling and even numbers when exhaling.
- Interesting noting related to a number takes place on two consecutive edges.
- I started by using single time to count with the help of this box.
- While meditating I sometimes do variations on box breathing combined with counting.
📚 Node [[buddha nature]] pulled by a user
📚 Node [[samatha]] pulled by a user
📚 Node [[vipassana]] pulled by a user