📕 subnode [[@protopian/optimizing for feelings]] in 📚 node [[optimizing-for-feelings]]
Optimizing For Feelings
- Author: The Browser Company
- Full Title: Optimizing For Feelings
- Category: #articles
- URL: https://browsercompany.substack.com/p/optimizing-for-feelings
- If you try hard, you can remember a time when our tools and platforms were designed by people, for people. Operating systems were bubbly and evanescent, like nature. Apps were customizable, in every shape and size. And interfaces drew on real-life metaphors to help you understand them, integrating them effortlessly into your life.
- But as our everyday software tools and media became global for the first time, the hand of the artist gave way to the whims of the algorithm. And our software became one-size-fits-all in a world full of so many different people. All our opinions, beliefs, and ideas got averaged out — producing the least common denominator: endless sequels that everyone enjoys but no one truly loves.