To contribute to the Agora, you need to write down notes or posts in Markdown format and upload your notes to a git repository of your choice. These steps are expanded below.
- Get a github account if you don't have a git host already: https://github.com.
If you don't have a personal knowledge management system of choice to manage your notes, we currently recommend foam: https://foambubble.github.io/foam/ (see agora editor for alternatives). To use foam:
- Fork its template repository: https://github.com/foambubble/foam-template/. You can use any name you desire for your repository.
- Install vscode if necessary: https://code.visualstudio.com/download. Launch it.
Select 'clone repository' -- if you're using github, log in with github. Authorize vscode to make changes to your account. It sometimes requires you to retry once for some reason.
- vscode should offer to install recommended extensions. Say yes.
You can now use foam:
- Press alt-d to start a new daily note (your journal).
- Write wikilinks to link to other pages.
- Control-click them to visit existing linked notes or create them if needed.
- ctrl-p to open an existing note.
- ctrl-shift-p to bring up the vscode command palete; you can search for any command and see keyboard shortcuts.
- Whenever you want to commit to your repository (and the Agora), save all files and use the "branch-like" icon on the left toolbar to review changes and write a commit message.
You may need to set a user.name and user.email in git. To do this, open the terminal in vscode and type:
- git config --global user.name "Your Name"
- git config --global user.email "firstname.lastname@example.org"
Then send email to email@example.com or a Twitter DM to flancian with:
- The URL of your repo.
- Your desired username (can be distinct from that of your git host).
- Confirmation that you agree to the Agora's contract (only the one by the @agora user; other contracts are optional).
- Non-git sources and formats other than Markdown will be supported in the future; if you store your notes using some other system, please reach out.
- See also (needs updating): agora howto.