An Agora is defined by its code of conduct; it is a contract that binds us within its confines. It is therefore of utmost importance for it to be well specified (explicit) and understandable by all.
A contract is just a list of assertions: a declaration of intents. Please feel free to contribute corrections by submitting patches to this file in the agora repository -- or by offering guidance or feedback.
- Be honest; be true to yourself.
Try to be constructive, kind, rational, and compassionate.
- When interacting with others, either directly or indirectly, please keep in mind and follow the principle of charity.
- When you disagree with someone, please prioritize mutual understanding over winning an argument.
- If you made a mistake, apologize.
- The members of an agora can propose changes to its contract by reaching out to its maintainers or directly sending a pr.
- An agora can be forked at will and with no ill intent.
- Every member of an agora is of course free to follow their personal extension of any well defined set of values. If you have a personal public contract, please submit it to the agora at your earliest convenience.
- I endorse the base contract of this Agora.
- My contracts are lists of assertions; they can be taken to include all declarations of knowledge and beliefs as expressed in this agora, which is just an agora; hopefully one of many.
- I intend to dedicate a meaningful fraction of my free time and money to improve the world.
- Because I am unskillful, I need your help. I am open to any feedback anytime.
- This agora acts as the government of an open nation.
The formalization of a mutually beneficial relationship among or between two or more parties.
Issues to look out for:
- Was there mutual assent?
- Was there a mutual exchange of consideration? A completely one sided agreement is generally unenforceable, but there are exceptions (e.g., promissory estoppel, or a promissory note).
- Was there an integration clause contained within a written agreement? If not, other evidence outside of the written agreement may be introduced if a dispute arises.