by charlotte hess and elinor ostrom
- goodreads has this under charlotte hess
- only 3.7 :(
- described as a loose collection of essays; might make sense to take notes per-chapter
- go https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/understanding-knowledge-commons
- hypothesis https://via.hypothes.is/www.wtf.tw/ref/hess_ostrom_2007.pdf
- pull knowledge commons
- es los bienes comunes del conocimiento
- by charlotte hess and elinor ostrom
Understanding Knowledge as a Commons
A : book
- public document at doc.anagora.org/understanding-knowledge-as-a-commons
- video call at meet.jit.si/understanding-knowledge-as-a-commons
The term "knowledge commons" refers to information, data, and content that is collectively owned and managed by a community of users, particularly over the Internet.
Once again, the promise of a knowledge commons is best made evident in the disagreements and difficulties in determining who and how it should be managed
Examples of knowledge commons
The knowledge commons is a model for a number of domains, including Open Educational Resources such as the MIT OpenCourseWare, free digital media such as Wikipedia, Creative Commons –licensed art, open-source research, and open scientific collections such as the Public Library of Science or the Science Commons, free software and Open Design.
- Open Educational Resources
- Creative Commons
- Public Library of Science
- Science Commons
- Free software
Knowledge commons is a misnomer bcos there is no such thing as knowledge. (!!)
What there IS/ARE is/are practices of knowing, communicating and organising.
So a 'knowledge commons' is a commons of literacy and (collective) labour power, thro which commoners are able to capably understand and organise their practical life as a commons, in a world of commons. It's a cultural commons.
- flancian https://twitter.com/flancian/status/1476252351879131141
- flancian https://twitter.com/flancian/status/1476310212529332225
- flancian https://twitter.com/flancian/status/1477277098372997127
- flancian https://twitter.com/flancian/status/1482438193588936705
- flancian https://twitter.com/flancian/status/1486425635295748109