Hi! I am a Flancian, that is, a member of the autotelic polis of Flancia. Flancia exists only digitally; it is a utopia that its members try to build.
I am also a "normal" person, in the sense that I hold a job in the real world and have hobbies and such. I'd like to say I am a writer but I am unpublished and honestly I don't know if I have the grit or the skill. I'm an on-and-off blogger, also active on Twitter.
I try to follow an explicit social contract when interacting with others over the internet and in real life. My contract is a composite of the ones listed below:
- https://anagora.org/wiki/Flancians, being the base contract for all Flancians.
- https://flancia.org/go/twitter-contract, being a shorter statement intended for social media.
- If you tell me why something I'm doing is wrong, I promise I'll consider your arguments carefully and make an honest attempt to change my mind.
My current top level goals, then, are to:
- Find and adopt or build an Agora.
- Assemble the best tools available for building social knowledge graphs and tackling collaborative problem solving.
- Find like-minded people and cooperate towards common goals.
- Help others, both directly and through organizations such as Effective Altruism.
You can follow along on my progress on Twitter.
The following is my current preferred ethical position or default policy. I strive to be a...
...person. If you tell me what I'm doing wrong, for me or for others, I will consider your assertion to the best of my abilities. If I agree with it, I will promise to do better in the future. I'll then update my beliefs to the new best-known position. I have good intentions, but I am sometimes unskillful. Please let me know how I could improve!
If you are interested in becoming a Flancian, please refer to How to become a Flancian.
An out-friend is someone I am friendly towards. Their attitude towards me is unknown or yet undefined. If you are in this list and you are friendly towards me, feel free to move your name to the Friends section.
Many in this list are dead, so they'll likely remain exclusively out-friends forever.
- Gautama Buddha
- Peter Singer
- William MacAskill
- Toby Ord
- Joscha Bach (@plinz)
- Lex Fridman
- Font of Augurs
- Joshua (@paleoludic).
- Visakan (@visakanv).
- T. H.
- S. Z.
- Daniel Dennett
- Sam Harris
- Marcus Aurelius
- David Chapman (@meaningness)
These are people that are friendly towards me. Feel free to add your name here anytime. If I am friendly towards you (and I try to maximize friendliness!), I'll then move your name below.
- This could be you :)
A friend is both an out-friend and an in-friend.
In no particular order. Private relationships are referred to through initials.