∂ part of node [[arcades]]
- in a pattern language
- "this is one of the most beautiful patterns in the language"
- "covered walkways at the edge of buildings, which are partly inside, partly outside"
- buildings are more unfriendly that they need to be; they could be more inviting. the arcade is a solution to this: a semi-public space at the edge of the building.
- a liminal space
- properties for arcades
rudofsky in streets for people says they "take the place of the ancient forum" -- the agora :)
- he calls them "the most refined street coverings, a tangible expression of civic solidarity -- or, should one say, of philanthropy"
- a self-contained semi-open space.