- A person.
- twitter twitter.com/jambarree
- go bakejam.com
- Used to work at tableau, left Jun 2020: .
Topics I'd like to bring up:
- Agora at the workplace
- Distributed activism
- Companies as a mirror of society
- Group building + stoas
- Shared index of potentially related projects and interested people
- Flancia is evocative of an Italian place :)
software developer in his first career.
- Hello from the future!
- Financial independence.
awakening came through career in a while. Joined a startup (tableau).
- 5-6y of hard coding.
- Some management.
- Company kept growing: from 50 people to several thousands.
The most fascinating topic in time became scaling itself. Organizational complexities.
- Organizations as systems.
- How do systems grow, scale or break?
- This pulled him out of conventional thinking and into more abstract/outside perspectives.
- Complex systems.
- Ended up doing branch management, release cycles.
- With time took on more problems having to do with human scaling more than software systems.
interference with executives and company
- ran into trouble with the cultural shift
- ran into the limit of personal skills too
pushed through existential crisis
- secular buddhism
- post-conventional self-identity, kegan stages, deconstruction
- tried employee activism, intending to have it be self-organizing, not leading it.
- movement wounded by pandemic
On our respective approaches:
- Difference in orientation: place vs people.
Key levers/key to unlock futures:
james baker people, dynamics of small teams and small groups, low level social systems.
- Examples: church groups, social organizations, clubs. Organizations where people find belonging.
- This is the kernel of what James is trying to engineer.
- Practice oriented.
- flancian place oriented. People in a different system with different rules, but starting from a place or system or tooling or structure.
- james baker people, dynamics of small teams and small groups, low level social systems.
What's your opinion w.r.t. unions?
- Complicated. Logical counterbalancing force: collective power vs corporate power. But it seems, as far as structures go, to be trapped in a local minimum.
Global optimum lies elsewhere; rather than counterbalancing, how could we dissolve the need for poles?
- Perhaps we should have user, data unions. More cooperatives.
What is your current focus?
- Opening up to allies and contributors within the next month or so.
- Interest group, might meet every N weeks.
- Co-creation, shared ownership. Looking for diverse perspectives.
- Meta and object level: let's design it and live it.
- Goal: an independent organization working on building pieces/rings of structure within 1y.
- "Who wants to join"
- A bit, not too much
- About the current Agora
Companies on the side
What's the "edge"?
- Could be agility/nimbleness
- What's the "edge"?
- Companies on the side
- social networks as venues for intentional society