Jonathan the Utopian
- A person.
- swiss mathematician.
- go lorand.earth
- twitter https://twitter.com/l_o_r_a_n_d
- gluten-free, not into dairy.
- Found and pointed out Smart Agora: https://coss.ethz.ch/research/pastprojects/SmartAgora.html
- project utopoi: http://lorand.earth/utopoi/about/
- project https://applied-compositional-thinking.engineering/
- a pattern language for protopian processes
- languages that can serve as bridges between different types of people
- unstability -> not feeling at home, not identifying with work
- getting old
- happy birthday
- urs federspiel
presentation mtr master konzept v2021 02 21
- Want feedback on their impressions. Which images, thoughts they receive when the presentation takes place.
- Any red flags/warnings/concerns we should think about?
- Suggestions, materials, ideas that could help.
- project is called protopoi; a working title.
- "it feels different to discuss" -- perhaps discuss should have a direct object? it takes only indirect objects/qualifiers here.
- what are visions of what I want or wish for?
- what are possibilities that I can imagine, for the near future or the present?
- what factors condition and inform my relationship to these questions?
- what are processes by which I can shape my interaction with these questions?
- in which ways can contrsuctive and collaborative first steps grow out of such processes?
- what I want to do
wishes and interests
perhaps start with 'with' and then do 'without'?
- 'being overwhelmed' -> 'overwhelming'? it should match disengaging/disengaged
- limits of our knowledge
- 'bothers me' -> can bother people?
- it would be interesting to insert "flash forwards" here: say which of these topics you'll expound on later in the presentation, which ones you intend to cover within your project later
- systemic organization: nice.
- went a bit fast as a slide
- how to generate a list of this type?
pluralistic conception of protopia
- this slide seems a bit "flat"; it could be more tree-shaped perhaps?
- why is pluralistic separated from the rest by whitespace? unclear
- meaningful seems like it's important and could be more stressed
- beyond a discursive approach
forms and shapes for social processes
- shapes are formed by social agreements and structural constraints could be at the top?
- push bohmian dialogue framework
- push pattern languages
- loose pieces
- how does success look like?
- how can we measure it or evaluate it?
- how to distinguish between something that effects positive change vs something that reinforces problems?
- what are ways that protopian processes could translate into actions / changes?
- what are the tools we can use?
- perhaps start with 'with' and then do 'without'?
- there could have been a bit more meta: go over the structure of the presentation in 30s-60s at the beginning, so the audience knows what to expect.
- jitsi meet
- map of the fediverse
- security through obscurity
- which modeling problems you get excited about?
- how do you pitch your project to people?
a pattern language for protopian processes
- comment from a friend: it might be wrong metodologically to 'fix' the tool to be a pattern language at this stage, there are many kinds of language
- how to organize todo.
- test annotation failover
- decide file/note hosting
- Enjoying the week off!
- universal basic income
- personal life
- arcades project
- beautiful light today, perhaps because of the sand storm
- day job is looking better -- course sessions over!
- graphical calculus / string diagrams in category theory
- group activities
- protopoi org
- Helping a friend move today.
- Working hard on setting up the curriculum for the course at ETH
- jonathan want to start building a website: protopoi space
- jonathan platform, place where one can link to different projects. root node for art school project.
- flancian a root node for all protopias everywhere :)
what is protopoi?
flancian the space of all protopias?
- an index
- jonathan a vision of how the world could be?
- flancian the space of all protopias?
- jonathan the project is focused on a process for imagining and exploring protopoi
- a repository of projects following a theme or vision.
push christopher alexander reading group
- quote We will read from some works of the architect and design theorist Christopher Alexander, with the aim of getting to know the ideas and philosophy associated with the influential book "A pattern language". The term "pattern language" describes an approach to (architectural) design which identifies and abstracts elementary yet ubiquitous design problems, along with solutions for them, and assembles them into a sort of alphabet to be used as a toolbox.
- quote This methodology is embedded in a design philosophy which attempts to put humans' needs, desires, and "aliveness" at the center of the design process. Although coming from architecture and urban design, Christopher Alexander's work has aspects which are of a very general, conceptual nature. It has been an influence in other fields, such as software design and music, and perhaps this module can be an opportunity to explore possible inspirations within one's own disciplinary context.
- quote Proposed readings: excerpts from the following books by Christopher Alexander: "Notes on the Synthesis of Form"; "The Timeless Way of Building"; "A Pattern Language". Possibly also additional materials.
- the timeless way of building
- a pattern language
- notes on the synthesis of form
- feedback on priorities with agora feature request and agora plan
- Super cool that you have a blackboard in your room!
- VC is very inclusive and we can always have this, no matter where we live.
What have you been working on?
jonathan working a lot on the online course at eth. Sort of managing the project almost.
- flancian do you feel like you are learning at the day job?
- yep. Experimenting with new mediums for online teaching.
- category theory for engineers
- jonathan working a lot on the online course at eth. Sort of managing the project almost.
- world models
agora for utopia
- missing devices
flancian set of m prime
jonathan mathematical + computational approach to the world
- on the one hand it seems it will always miss something, as life is so rich
- on the other hand it seems it could be valuable
- at the beginning it seems it could be unpractical, but looking around similar approaches are around
- it is very costly to input lots of information, and it requires a lot of time
- flancian note that the value/cost function is undefined; this is a procedure to find paths/tunnels
- jonathan mathematical + computational approach to the world
- flancian set of m prime
- robin krom
- reading group
- bug report agora plan https://anagora.org/node/reading-goup---christopher-alexander renders badly
- Jonathan thinks utopoi is not persistent; it will live for a while and then die, like an organism. But this applies mostly to the physical part; the digital part might endure.
- Knowing it has an end date actually feels nice.
- likes that he critized his own work -- I agree.
- part of his later work is about deconstructing his earlier work.
- "philosophy is the art of making questions enjoyable"
- "feeling like a mashed potato"
- work is getting stressful due to an online course coming up in January.