🏛 Stoas near [[@flancian/social coop tech group minutes]]📖 HedgeDoc at https://doc.anagora.org/social-coop-tech-group-minutes 📖 Etherpad at https://stoa.anagora.org/p/social-coop-tech-group-minutes 📹 Jitsi at https://meet.jit.si/social-coop-tech-group-minutes
- #pull social coop tech group
round the table catching up :)
neil first time in one of the tech group meetings!
- post work on a Friday -- nice to be here!
- noah happy the group seems to be "revived"
akshay like a Saturday for me due to 80% time :)
- neil +1 here, but not off today
- been doing it for a year
- [noah] freelance, working four days a week
- nick here :)
- neil first time in one of the tech group meetings!
let's seed a potential agenda?
- noah what was discussed at the last meeting?
nick handing over the keys, how to be able to disengage before the next meeting
- if we have root in social.coop, what else do we need to get full access to all resources?
- nick there's also the password repository, which is based on gpg keys
- noah adding people to the pass repo is maybe the one thing where we surely need nick the most
nick can add Eduardo to the pass repo
- it requires re-encrypting with all keys
- need to find the notes on how to do this
- akshay is it worth storing in the repo itself how to do this?
- we are pretty confident all credentials are in the pass repo, at least in the past 2-3y everything has been there
there is a lingering domain registration issue
- we need to look up the name of the person responsible
- nick enric duran (sp?)
- there was discussion of transferring
- -> let's find the loomio thread, there was a proposal for where to transfer to https://www.loomio.org/d/Jf5Wi4Ph/domain-expired-social-coop-down
- noah it would ideally be transferred to a collective entity?
- probably want to discuss with other working groups
akshay do we keep track of what we have credentials for?
- noah no separate source except for the pass repo
- admin account in the instance
- digital ocean for static storage
- login for email aliases which is required for git access
we could agree on a time slot and then do some coworking on the pass repo
- next week 2h earlier? 4pm London
nick make sure you have an email alias asap so you can access the git repo so you can do, well, other stuff :)
- noah, nick, david have access
- newbie here!
- don't know much about tech (yet)
- willing to learn
[flancian] focus areas / learning exercises
mastodon instance (currently on docker)
- who does moderation?
- there is a moderation group, community working group does it
- neil is there anything that the tech working group does with registrations?
- noah the wiki runs alongside the mastodon deployment and supports the process
- [flancian] why do we do it this way instead of letting people join (with approval) and then following up?
- noah there's the requirement of joining the open collective first, but there is potential for streamlining as long as we have energy in driving :)
- [flancian] interested, would like to try to bring this up as a possible improvement -- in particular if we want to make it easier to onboard/grow more
- neil there was discussion about improving the process in the strategy session
- nick there's only one field in registration and that was considered a blocker
akshay it seems like mastodon in general could benefit from this
backups and restores
- secondary server?
- nick there was some effort previously some time ago (https://git.coop/social.coop/tech/ansible/-/merge_requests/12 - although it's more about an instance for testing upgrades, but same principle for restores)
- one of the complications was to try to bring up a new instance which isn't federating, which could mess up the fediverse
- there's a merge request in git
- nicks didn't reach agreement
- wu lee (sp?)
- has this been brought up?
- noah one of the old meeting minutes has ideas on this front: https://www.loomio.org/d/UwAeiBgE/tech-meeting-minutes/35
- the obstacle is procedural + organizational: something that enough people want, are willing to have some workload for them
akshay instance customization
- is there interest?
- noah some people are definitely interested
- noah putting together a survey in general would be useful for both gauging this and interest in new services
- akshay themes would also be nice
- nick there was -some- customization previously but it might have been ripped out to lower maintenance cost
- neil in the strategy sessions people mentioned hometown, main feature that was desired seemed to be local only timeline
- noah there is some risk associated with the switch, but it shouldn't be a very involved process. hometown keeps up with mastodon pretty regularly.
- darius is active in the fediverse and could maybe help out
- nick deployed a hometown instance rencetly, used coop cloud for it. setting up a parallel second setup might be a good idea. https://coopcloud.tech/
- [flancian] is there consensus on whether the community wants that?
- neil no consensus, just has been brought up a few times
- nick as a user, likes the concept but it adds a bit more complexity to the already relatively complex mastodon post visibility options. third party apps don't support it. it works maybe better for technology-engaged communities.
- noah has an alt on dads.cool and it's pretty nice, but it makes sense in the context of that server
- [will/datatitian] it's good for complaining among other coopers :)
- mastodon instance (currently on docker)
(breaking here until next time)
- [flancian] maintenance pending
[flancian] engagement with other working groups
- -> could be related/linked to a solution to gender imbalance/diversity
neil steps for onboarding new tech WG members
- might be linked to focus areas
- [flancian] documentation sources of truth, do we have too many? do we share enough with other working groups?
GiacomoSansoni: on customization, could be just put things to a vote on loomio one by one?
- +1, this sounds like a good idea
- send a notification to everybody on the instance requesting a proposal?
- noah signing off, nice to see you!
nick glad I joined, climbed out of bed, now need to eat dinner :)
enjoyed it more than I thought!
- [flancian] +1
- enjoyed it more than I thought!
neil nice to put faces to handles :)
- nice to get a start on how the meeting is run, looking forward to next Friday!
akshay was looking forward to the meeting and enjoyed it, see you next Friday :)
- this being the second meeting it feels like the start of something
- GiacomoSansoni: on customization, could be just put things to a vote on loomio one by one?
- Hi all :)
- Let's try to keep communal notes here?
nick == nick sellen got involved in social.coop during a crisis long ago
- saved it from going offline, stabilized for a bit
- then david and noah came onboard
- not very active in the instance as of late
- certificate renewal
- trying to empower others to join in, but don't have capacity for being really active again for now
- in the UK (Bath)
side note: gender imbalance here pretty obvious
- (what do we do about this?)
- akshay been on social.coop for ~1y
- idmyn == David
flancian == Eduardo
- living in switzerland
- joined a couple of years ago, but not that involved until recently
- when recent cert issue happened felt rusty but perhaps they could help out
- SRE recently, linux experience
- not sure if recent experience is relevant but willing to learn!
edsu == ed summers
- been around for ~4y
- use the instance quite a bit, notice when it goes down -- thank you nick for bringing it back every time!
- is invested so would love to know more, learn
- software developer background, mostly web. working mainly with libraries (in the organization sense) which have digital repositories and a web presence.
- love the idea of pitching in to help and this group being a coop.
datatitian == Will
- joined in 2017
- got involved with the tech group back then but didn't have a lot of specific experience; now would be interested in trying again
- working on immers.space which is activitypub based
- nick sellen love how the recent disruption has served to get people together, shows how as long as we have fundamental organization we can channel energy in the right direction :)
nick sellen server access
- there's a thread on loomio to decide who gets server access, we can use that
- we'd vote people in for access and then people can request assistance/more information as needed
- love the coworking/colearning model
- really enjoyed learning about the background of others just now
- flancian is there a 'root node' for tech docs/etc.?
- flancian I see we have one server -- do we have a backup server? do we have backup+restore processes?
akshay what's this sauce repo mentioned?
- nick sellen the other nick named it after 'special sauce'
- in principle it could be all consolidated into ansible
- docker compose setup
- the update process involves touching the sauce repo which then somehow results in updates configs making it to prod
- akshay love automation, been doing this for the past few years for employers
- datatitian thinking of oncall schedules for the group -- need not be too granular
edsu perhaps other working groups within the coop might be interested in other tools we could provide for them?
- datatitian there's been a long term interest in bridging loomio and mastodon
- edsu issue tracker for FRs?
- flancian git.coop?
- akshay if access to git.coop is limited, that would be a bit exclusive
- edsu loomio might also be a good platform for this
- nick sellen love the idea about building bridges -- and the oncall sharing
edsu how did you notice the recent instance problem?
- nick sellen I do use it often enough :) also keep up to date with matrix.
- (wrap up round)
nick sellen happy with this meet, would like to support everyone any way I can
- next steps: next call next week
- happy to receive more questions over matrix/mastodon/loomio
- akshay already have a git.coop account, would like access to ansible/sauce if possible to see how this works :)
david happy to see new and familiar faces!
- won't be able to make the other call but will stay reachable and happy to answer questions and assist
flancian thank you for social.coop! happy to meet you all
- will read docs, think about where to focus
- please feel free to pull me in if you need work on any particular direction
edsu happy to meet all, would love to learn more about side projects that people have here
- would like to learn more about mastodon
- do have a git.coop account already, will take a look -- have used ansible before
- will tune in next week
- datatitian will start coordinating on loomio focusing on the oncall schedule
akshay how to join in loomio?
- (people apply)
⸎ (text) last updated 2022-09-26 21:01:04+02:00
📚 Node [[social coop tech group]] pulled by a user