The Arcades Project
- #push arcades project
- ...sort of.
- #push walter benjamin contemporaries
- in the words of the translator of our edition, the items on display (drafts, excerpts) give rise to "a world of secret affinities".
- benjamin abandoned the work in 1940 as he had to flee paris.
- benjamin wrote to gershom scholem on 1934 and said that "not a syllable of the actual text of the passagenarbeit exists yet". So perhaps what we've got is essentially only notes for a work that was never written.
- but perhaps what we got is closer to what benjamin had in mind as an end state; he had experimented with montage before.
- it contains oppressive chunks of quotations.
- #push nineteenth century types
- exposé of 1935