📕 subnode [[@flancian/ward cunningham]] in 📚 node [[ward-cunningham]]
- A person.
- Had experience with Smalltalk, amassed over several months of undirected exploration
- People asked for the gist of Smalltalk to learn it over two days. How to condense months of learning in a format that makes that possible?
- The initial pattern repository came from that (influenced by christopher alexander).
"Made this thing over a weekend because people were sending me things by email that didn't render right" -- called it wiki because it meant "fast".
- "If I make this stupid simple" -- people won't think I tried hard, but they will have the tools to "fix it".
- Tended to the wiki a few hours a day -- in the time between "proper work". But that tending paid off.
- For long, people could have thrashed but didn't. Then someone did, and people just tended to it.
- The environment that resulted was very creative. Lots of vocabulary was coined right there.
When Wikipedia came along, it did the right things:
- They made it in every language
- They were bold (paraphrase)
Spinning off wikis out of wikis
- Wiki on wiki (meta)
- Religion wiki
- Taking pages and refactoring, cross-linking -- that's the core of federated wiki.
- In a federated wiki, queries propagate -- pages include a history on which wikis have hosted the wiki previously. If a page vanishes, it can be found in a previous version.
- "When you're talking about yourself, talk of yourself as we"
Google-like analytics were interesting
- Tried not to pay attention.
- Bone (sp?) dialog: you talk to the center of the room, not to any particular person. It's good for sharing, giving.
- Some people wanted to put graphs in wiki
Federated wiki has a few thousand sites on it, 25-30 get daily updates and host vibrant communities and might be interested in your project.
- Links are the title of the page
- But if you retrieve a page from some other wiki, it fans out/ripples
- The sites you pull from become part of your neighborhood
- When you search, you can choose to "pull" pages into your sites
- People might turn out to maintain several sites, specialized on topics
- If you go to your unicycle page, it will mention there are N pages about unicycle in your neighborhood
🌉 bridge to [[c2]] built by an Agora user
🌉 bridge to [[fedwiki]] built by an Agora user