As you might know by now, an Agora is a beast with multiple legs:
- A knowledge garden. This is the heart of the Agora. It is kept in the https://flancia.org/go/agora repo.
- A web renderer, which I run on anagora.org. This is Agora Server. It is kept in the https://flancia.org/go/agora-server repo.
This page is about both, although it's probably going to be Agora Server heavy as I'm currently focused on developing features for it.
- On 2021-01-30
On 2020-01-02 I implemented jump
- I said: "I'll implement the action and a 'jump'/ dialog always available in the Agora, perhaps replacing search in the toolbar."
- Q: is 'go to' better than jump? I don't think so, and it could be confusing due to go links. But unsure.
- On 2020-01-01 I fixed node titles.
- On 2020-12-29 I pushed a quick patch that upranks all my subnodes, as some top subnodes in relatively popular nodes had formatting issues / were distracting. I intend this to be temporary; better ranking and formatting fixes are coming.
- On 2020-12-27 I released agora 0.5.6 with pull support, better db code, caching... quite a bit :)
- On 2020-12-20 I worked agora 0.5.5, which adds simple hypothes.is integration.
On 2020-12-04 I released agora 0.5.4, with some improvements:
- New data model (digital gardens are not subtree'd in the main agora repository anymore, stay wholly independent)
- Index page is now just another node, subnodes can be contributed by users.
- On 2020-11-29 I integrated the first community contribution ever.
- On 2020-11-27 I fixed some bugs, like wikilinks with periods on their names not working.
- On 2020-11-22 implemented count of subnodes in user pages.
- On 2020-11-17 implemented latest.
- On 2020-11-16 I implemented agora fuzzy matching and full text search, adopted a div based layout, improved the CSS, improved user pages.
- On 2020-11-15 I implemented dark mode (press on 'theme' on the top right corner to switch dark <-> light).
- On 2020-11-14 I released agora 0.5.1.
- [x] pen-coded: https://github.com/KGBicheno/KGB_Agora
- [x] luciana: https://github.com/malfattti/garden
- [x] arghzero
- [x] dr_kvj: https://github.com/drkvj/agora
- [x] jonathan-the-utopian
- [ ] enkiv2: http://www.lord-enki.net/medium-backup/
[ ] what about all of the ones licensed appropriately listed in kasper zutterman's second brain list? https://github.com/KasperZutterman/Second-Brain
- Discussing with armengolaltayo
- [ ] See also digital gardeners
[ ] iplumb3r
- This seems to be in topincs format, investigate.
- [x] houshuang
- [ ] joelchan86
- [x] tilda
- [x] binnyva
- [ ] jakeisnt
[ ] TomCassidy
- [ ] It's a public roam graph: https://roamresearch.com/#/app/Learn2020zettelkasten
[ ] metasj https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Sj/!
- First user actually using a wiki!
- agora twitter integration
- agora hypothesis integration
- agora vscode
- wikilinks everywhere
[ ] all http mentions should be auto linked, not only some: https://twitter.com/notverapetrova/status/1346258737204400128
- Worked around this, but I should probably send an upstream PR to bleach
- [ ] try rendering notes with marko, see if it's a bit more forgiving with list indentation and other kinks that seem common.
- [ ] add support for org mode gardens
- [ ] I should make node 0.5.6 work
- [ ] graph the whole Agora -- sounds fun!
- [ ] Implement pull and push.
[ ] Make more links default to node instead of subnode.
- For example those in latest, those in user pages.
- Might require 'upranking'.
- [ ] set up agora hot spare in dorcas, this is an experiment but I already find it very useful so I don't want to not have it available for a while if there's a server failure
- [ ] add monitoring -- munin or something more modern? prometheus?
- [ ] Implement /node/foo/selector as more resilient/uniform alternative to /subnode.
[ ] Implement user upranking/pinning.
- Perhaps nodes visited from a user scope uprank subnodes by that user?
- [ ] https://twitter.com/s5bug/status/1334686375275163652 ?s=09
- [ ] Provide a link (GET) for the search for '[ ]', useful for do.
- [ ] Add better backlinks, showing some context.
- [ ] Make the site header be marked as an actual header (div with a class, etc.); Google seems to think it's part of the site text (it's showing up in results).
- [ ] Fix markdown list formatting issue with different tab widths.
- [ ] add footer.
- Implement preview-on-hover?
- Implement "around the Agora".
- [ ] add /latest or some other chronological view
- [ ] User profiles: perhaps just note flancian as written by user flancian? Unsure.
- [ ] Make the index be just another note ding-levery.
- [ ] Improve backlinks: show snippets as well as just the link.
- [ ] Improve pull loop to also support arbitrary hooks, like that needed to implement agora go links integration.
[ ] Multi user improvements:
- Better sorting (right now all my notes show up at the top, doesn't make sense).
- Ability to "zoom into" a user, to navigate just their garden for a while.
- [ ] Perhaps ability to "uprank" users, pinning their notes to the top of any sorting order.
- [ ] Perhaps sort+uprank can be integrated?
- [ ] usernames could have a 'pin' emoji that upranks all their posts?
- [ ] Implement search (full text).
[ ] Add support for media serving (useful for pictures of ocell).
- assets/foo end up at node/assets/foo; just adding a handler for node/assets/ seems like it could be enough.
- It would conflict with a node named 'assets' though, so perhaps it's not ideal.
- Perhaps it'd be better to just serve images/media as subnodes?
- [ ] Add monitoring/alerting.
- When you update a node on a person, said person gets a notification (they can opt out).
- Support Roam, Athens, org-roam digital gardens.
Twitter integration -> agora twitter integration
- Ask ding levery.
Automatic actions -> agora actions -> agora action
- tweet block tweets the block (exactly once, etc.).
- go links integration -> agora go links integration
- [x] fix bug: backlinks should be shown even in yet non-existent nodes, such as deceased.
- [x] Clean up stale journal pages which don't follow iso 8601.
- [x] Add config.py file with things such as paths.
[x] Add user handler: /u
- /u/flancian -> all nodes by flancian
- /node/flancia/u/flancian -> flancia by flancian
- Also added @flancian. Shorter is better, and it's a common convention.
- perhaps /g/ for groups later? or /s/ for stoa.
[x] Add 'link to this note'.
- Now called subnode.
- Subnode rendering is ready, just need to add links.
- Perhaps I need to fix subnode paths; right now they are the actual filename. It'd be better if there was at least possible to specify the filename base (no extension) and have the right file be resolve, a la nodes.
[x] add some search support -- a simple textbox + GET?
- Probably want to use flask-wtf for this: https://hackersandslackers.com/flask-wtforms-forms/
[x] better css
- [x] Add 'dark mode' to the Agora, I like this kind of scheme: https://twitter.com/ablueaeshna/status/1323439284272222208 /photo/1
- [x] added switching by button
- Make subnodes/notes look like notes instead of using clunky
<hr />everywhere. Move to divs, etc.
- [x] Improve the index.
[x] Implement agora fuzzy matching.
- [ ] but backlinks don't work in some cases, like http://dev.anagora.org/node/abstract%20fairy.
- Probably not worth fixing that right now as it only triggers for nodes that are not canonical, perhaps better to just redirect to a canonical node.
- [ ] could help with disambiguation and acronym expansion
push agora plan
- fix images for vera
- fix weird link overflow after tweets, see above
- push default actions
- Subnodes should show date created, date last updated.
- Would like to be able to sync remnote notes.
- foam Los títulos de las notas en español deberían usar minúsculas (siguiendo la convención apropiada para el español).
- It would be nice to have a way to export rendered gardens as static html, with data such as calculated backlinks baked in.
- Meta FR: look at special pages from wikipedia: https://twitter.com/metasj/status/1346180724861394944
- Got an agora feature request: have http://anagora.org detect "dangling links" in gardens, that is, wikilinks that have no target note. Good for people that want to notice and tie up "loose ends" in their garden.
Abstract Fairy: I. Agora sequences The main value I find in a book is structure. A well written book shows you how an idea came to be, related ideas, its limitations, and how you can play around with it. I think the Agora should have smth like that. Smth similar to LW sequences. It can be implemented through having a node of links
Abstract Fairy: II. Abstracts If possible, I think it would be nice for nodes to have previews / abstracts to make it easy to skim through a large amount fo them for searching. Naturally, I think there should be a word count for this to make it easy to digest
Abstract Fairy: III. Twitter and QT as block references. Agora as a social network I think QT is effectively using a block refrence. so, I think the Agora (if modified into a social network) could operate on a similar basis Abstracts would be important to get a quick overview of a node (pls no 20+ tabs like LW)
Maybe somewhere down the line, the Agora could work like that. We could have an online editor for people to quickly dump their thoughts into the Agora. And we could have a feed, here are the new nodes your friends made, here are the new blocks they've written / edited significantly
I actually really like how everyone's nodes are displayed, it can really put stuff into perspective :)
- titushora the Agora look like this: https://twitter.com/TitusHora/status/1325147589197484036
- It 'means' that a certain context is relevant for the target node and should perhaps be included in it (transclusion):
- Here's how you use it: you start a block with the push action, passing a target node as an argument. Then you attach as many sub blocks (indented list items) to the block; they will be included in the target as a subnode.
- push agora twitter integration
- See also: pull.