Flancia Collective and the spheres of commoning
As a fun thought experiment, I'd like to have a think about how [[Flancia Collective]] is doing stuff in each of the [[Spheres of commoning]].
Also to be thought about: what commons are we actually stewarding? And who are the commoners?
We are creating digital commons of software and a knowledge commons, I guess.
Mike Hales' handbook on meet.coop would be a good reference point I reckon.
I guess should look at each of the patterns through the lens of how does Flancia Collective do these things? Or how do we do these things in relation to a particular commons? Comes back to defining what actually are our commons.
Social life ([[The Social Life of Commoning]])
Cultivate Shared Purpose and Values
- We kind of have this, but I don't know what it means to cultivate it, and whether we're doing that.
- We have a few chat spaces on Element. This is async togetherness.
- [[node club]] - kind of a shared 'custom' each week (/month…). Async togetherness also. As a way of fleshing out the knowledge commons.
- there is a weekly online [[flancia meet]], and a weekly [[Agora Meet]], to meet in person.
- We do this - both code and info.
Practice Gentle Reciprocity
Trust Situated Knowing
[[Deepen Communion with Nature]]
- Bit of a wild card one for digital commons. But could link it in via [[sustainable tech]].
Preserve Relationships in Addressing Conflicts
Reflect on Your Peer Governance
Bring Diversity into Shared Purpose
- Some diversity in views. But not a huge amount of diversity in background.
Create Semi-Permeable Membranes
Honor Transparency in a Sphere of Trust
Share Knowledge Generously
Assure Consent in Decision Making
- Happens roughly through Element chat.
Rely on Heterarchy
Peer Monitor & Apply Graduated Sanctions
[[Keep Commons & Commerce Distinct]]
At present, we do not have any commercial activity associated with the commons that are produced by Flancia.
[[Finance Commons Provisioning]] / [[Choose Commons-Friendly Financing]]
As of August 2022, [[Flancian]] has been donating and continues to donate around half of his discretionary monthly income to Flancia related projects. This includes Give Directly / Effective Altruism funds donations, but also funding roughly 5 basic incomes directly month to month on 12 or 24-month basis. And some open source projects. We also provide hosting for [[Anagora]], and [[moa]], and would like to provide the same for other ethical services.
So I guess this probably classes as [[collaborative financing]].
As stated by Flancian:
the idea here is for the community to decide how we spend this money ethically :) this is why I started working on the Agora essentially – to find ways to do this kind of work more intelligently/effectively/compassionately together
Provisioning ([[Provisioning Through Commons]])
Make & Use Together
Support Care & Decommodified Work
Share the Risks of Provisioning
Contribute & Share
Pool, Cap & Divide Up
Pool, Cap & Mutualize
Trade with Price Sovereignty
[[Use Convivial Tools]]
- I think we do, yeah. We tend to work with [[Free software]].
Rely on Distributed Structures
- We like distributed structures, for sure. And we'd like Agora to be distributed (or at least federated). Do we make use of them though?