Flancia Collective and the spheres of commoning
Also to be thought about: what commons are we actually stewarding? And who are the commoners?
We are creating digital commons of software and a knowledge commons, I guess.
Mike Hales' handbook on meet.coop would be a good reference point I reckon.
I guess should look at each of the patterns through the lens of how does Flancia Collective do these things? Or how do we do these things in relation to a particular commons? Comes back to defining what actually are our commons.
Social life (The Social Life of Commoning)
Cultivate Shared Purpose and Values
- We kind of have this, but I don't know what it means to cultivate it, and whether we're doing that.
- We have a few chat spaces on Element, but I don't feel like async chat really counts as togetherness.
- node club - kind of a shared 'custom' each week. Kind of async again though. As a way of fleshing out the knowledge commons.
- We do this - both code and info.
Practice Gentle Reciprocity
Trust Situated Knowing
- Bit of a wild card one for digital commons. But could link it in via sustainable tech.
Preserve Relationships in Addressing Conflicts
Reflect on Your Peer Governance
Bring Diversity into Shared Purpose
- Some diversity in views. But not a huge amount of diversity in background.
Create Semi-Permeable Membranes
Honor Transparency in a Sphere of Trust
Share Knowledge Generously
Assure Consent in Decision Making
- Happens roughly through Element chat.
Rely on Heterarchy
Peer Monitor & Apply Graduated Sanctions
- We have no money associated with Flancia/Agora as of yet.
- We have no financing associated with Flancia/Agora as of yet.
Provisioning (Provisioning Through Commons)
Make & Use Together
Support Care & Decommodified Work
Share the Risks of Provisioning
Contribute & Share
Pool, Cap & Divide Up
Pool, Cap & Mutualize
Trade with Price Sovereignty
- I think we do, yeah. We tend to work with Free software.
Rely on Distributed Structures
- We like distributed structures, for sure. And we'd like Agora to be distributed (or at least federated). Do we make use of them though?
Creatively Adapt & Renew
- public document at doc.anagora.org/flancia-collective-and-the-spheres-of-commoning
- video call at meet.jit.si/flancia-collective-and-the-spheres-of-commoning