📚 Node [[metaverses]]
📓 Metaverses.md (text) by @protopian
- Author: [[Ben Thompson]]
- Full Title: Metaverses
- Category: #articles
- URL: https://stratechery.com/2021/metaverses/
- Metaverse Primer earlier this summer, defined the Metaverse in 2020 as having these seven qualities:
- The situation is even worse if you want to reach potential customers: the vast majority of computing devices in the world are access-controlled by Apple and Google, which not only impose limits on content but also tax their economies at a 30% rate; the only interoperability that exists are the remains of the open Internet.
- In this way the Metaverse is actually a unifying force for Stephenson’s dystopia: there is only one virtual world sitting beyond a real world that is fractured between independent entities. There are connections in the real world — roads and helicopters and airplanes exist — but those connections are subject to tolls and gatekeepers, in contrast to the interoperability and freedom of the Metaverse.
- In other words, I think that Stephenson got the future exactly backwards: in our world the benevolent monopolist is the reality of atoms. Sure, we can construct borders and private clubs, just as the Metaverse has private property, but interoperability and a shared economy are inescapable in the real world; physical constraints are community. It is on the Internet, where anything is possible, that walled gardens flourish. Facebook has total control of Facebook, Apple of iOS, Google of Android, and so on down the stack. Yes, HTTP and SMTP and other protocols still exist, but it’s not an accident those were developed before anyone thought there was money to be made online; today’s APIs have commercial intent built-in from first principles.
🏛️ Stoas for [[metaverses]]
📖 Open document (Hedgedoc) at https://doc.anagora.org/metaverses 📖 Open document (Etherpad) at https://stoa.anagora.org/p/metaverses 📹 Video conferencing space (Jitsi Meet) at https://meet.jit.si/metaverses
🔎 Full text search for [[metaverses]]