📚 node [[read]]
- I used to read a lot. Now I don't. I'd like to read more, so I'm assembling a list that is maximally interesting to me.
- working in public
- how to take smart notes
- seeing like a state
- four quartets
- bell hooks
- bolo bolo
- the idea of the world
- prisión perpetua
- in buddha's words
- 62 modelo para armar
- bell hooks
- And the pushed and pulled nodes below, as per the agora protocol.
- pull reading protopoi
- pull reading alexander
📖 stoa (open document) at doc.anagora.org/read
⥅ related node [[reading-alexander]] pulled by user
- I read what we agreed to read :)
- proposal: design a space following the example in the introductory material? 10-20 patterns combined.
- would probably recommend people just go to a pattern language directly, it seems to be self-contained
- did something with a pattern language ~1y ago
it just seems like previous reading wouldn't help learning how to write your own patterns?
- jonathan what would you recommend?
- the ideological component sometimes doesn't resonate; the patterns themselves, which can be used and changed regardless of ideology, seem more generally useful.
simon this is framed as one big project (the three books). what's interesting: there is some goal of trying to provide a set of tools to shape one's environment.
- notsof could almost be computed by a machine
- whereas apl is very much grounded
- topic: what is timeless and beautiful. how the environment shapes us as much as we shape the environment.
- the weakest patterns are the strongly utilitarian. the stronger ones are "spiritual"
some contradictions between patterns
- he loves dense cities and lively areas
- but he wants height limits and only building on 50% of the area
- units per building
- in a contemporary context a lot of the patterns are very difficult to achieve
- aside: would be interesting to model fit/misfit between patterns even as we swap in/out some of them
pattern: filtered light
- mentions how the perception of light gets softened if it's filtered; less high contrast, which is a nice quality. for living spaces softness is nice.
- film makers think it makes objects more lively: e.g. leaves casting moving shadows.
third reason: speculative. stimulates us biologically (?)
- could be socialized aesthetics instead.
- when planning windows, this pattern is recommended.
pattern: window place
- thought about this pattern within his home
- previous place had an obviously amazing view -- you could see the sagrada familia
- zen view is mentioned as related to this pattern, though, and it relates with something interesting that happened in the old place. the view was normalized. it became part of the background; like alexander says.
- now have to go to a specific place to look at a view now.
- q when trying to differentiate between the list of patterns
- pattern: window place
four stories limit
- ideology aside: main thing that bothered me in general. trying to justify things as natural.
- "want to find a pattern that looks ridiculous"
- in zurich: like hardau towers
- some justification for this pattern has to do with mental health issues
- people who live in high rises are less likely to go out into the world
- feeling connected to the city life
- andreas it seems very opinionated, it depends on one's preferences. you might not care about the misfits and have fits with your lifestyle.
simon four floors doesn't seem high density enough for city life. attitude towards skyrises changes a lot across cultures. singapore for example has a very different disposition towards them.
- most sustainable density is about six floors.
- the most antisocial aspect of high rises is to have parking-lot-to-living-floor.
- isolation in high rises is a big problem though.
andreas there is a huge grey area between four floors and high rises
- zurich proposed having public rooftops and bike lanes between them
- four stories limit
- liked: both describing a set of objects and activity/life that emerges around those objects
- "if the knit together" the system is a good one
- view things like traffic lights as items of public living
- bus stop
- found himself reading in a less analytical way
- the structure itself seems to encourage this
- "I need to read it fast" yields a different kind of reading too, perhaps
lorand some pieces seem to be a bit rough. but interesting questions
- the observation that people feel calm in nature -> homogeneity in aesthetics
- ad hoc/rushed at the end: processes for using patterns for differentiation of space. differentiation vs accumulation
- some vagueness
- a bit tragic perhaps: towards the end, neighbors working together to make their houses beautiful. seemed a bit utopian in a modernist sense.
- a pattern has a context, a problem and a solution that resolves the set of conflicting forces.
- embodiment as crucial vs the software patterns
- kowloon walled city
- tokyo 1960
- wabi sabi
note taking ok?
- yes for now :)
- background: comp sci + linguistics
- cooperative/group projects, mapping, modelling and abstraction, translation
- note taking ok?
⥅ related node [[reading-protopoi]] pulled by user
- with a matching reading club.
- push here to add items.
⥅ related node [[10 papers every developer should read at least twice]]
⥅ related node [[18 book reading list for computer history]]
⥅ related node [[2003 03 05 feedreader]]
⥅ related node [[2003 10 08 windows rss readers]]
⥅ related node [[2003 11 25 reading up on social software]]
⥅ related node [[2004 03 07 reading update]]
⥅ related node [[2004 05 31 break your news feed to easily lose readers]]
⥅ related node [[2004 07 13 common definition of xml readership]]
⥅ related node [[2004 10 27 zip ca finds my comment thread]]
⥅ related node [[2005 07 29 read only calendars were nice in 2002]]
⥅ related node [[2005 10 12 brent holliday with web 2 0 anti hype and get ready for vancouver enterprise forum 2 0]]
⥅ related node [[2006 04 20 stop with the guest posting already]]
⥅ related node [[2006 11 06 switching to google reader]]
⥅ related node [[2006 11 13 google reader update]]
⥅ related node [[2020 04 20 readwriteweb wayback]]
⥅ related node [[2021 03 17]]
⥅ related node [[2021 07 17]]
⥅ related node [[62 modelo para armar]]
⥅ related node [[a pattern language]]
⥅ related node [[a perfect vacuum]]
⥅ related node [[agora protocol]]
⥅ related node [[agora reader]]
⥅ related node [[agora reading club]]
⥅ related node [[banana bread]]