📚 node [[we should have public ownership of energy]]
We should have public ownership of energy
- Privatised energy costs us more as private companies extract more and more profits
- Privatised energy is adding to our bills when energy companies go bust
- It’s hugely wasteful to spend public money rescuing private companies and getting nothing back
- Privatisation was supposed to cut energy prices for the public, yet energy bills went up by fifty percent in real terms between 1996 and 2018 and are now skyrocketing further, all while the private energy companies have paid out billions in dividends to their shareholders.
- A publicly owned energy provider can make sure people aren't ripped off; can plan for fluctuations in global energy prices; and can invest in renewable energy.
- Prices are between twenty and thirty percent lower in systems with public ownership.
^ these from It's Time to Bring Energy into Public Ownership
Type : claim
Agreement level : Yes definitely
Mainly because I general agree with public ownership of utilities.
📖 stoas (collaborative spaces) for [[we should have public ownership of energy]]
- Open document (Hedgedoc) at https://doc.anagora.org/we-should-have-public-ownership-of-energy
- Video call (Jitsi) at https://meet.jit.si/we-should-have-public-ownership-of-energy
🔎 full text search for [[we should have public ownership of energy]]